Monday, May 29, 2017

Flashback: The Best of Uncle's Inbox







Today's Inbox Flashback comes from our long out-of-print Volume 7, which originally debuted April 16, 2014.

Transcript edited for context and easier reading.

Robbie writes from Oklahoma City.
"Dear Uncle, It says on your XXXXXXX page that you are a chemist. Can you help me fix my meth recipe?"

I need to take that down... YES, I have a few degrees in the closet somewhere, but these days, it's too damned dangerous to brag about an advanced chemical education.   One minute you're in a bar talking to some biker chick - you let it slip you know how a pH meter works - and the next thing you know you're handcuffed to a rottweiler in a mobile home in the middle of nowhere stirring up generic Sudafed and nail polish remover in an old casserole dish. 

I think in future, I'll start telling people I'm a physicist. And with luck, they'll just totally ignore me.

Answer: NO.   I can't help you, Robbie.  There are hundreds of specialty fields under the umbrella of "Chemistry" and we're not all Heisenbergs at the core.    Walt and Jesse were practicing what's known as Synthetic Organic Chemistry, which was never my strongest area.  (Sure the labs were fun, the solvents smelled awesome and there was always one good fire a day... but as previously stated, it was my weak area.) 

In his heyday, your favorite Uncle was mostly a Physical Chemist (specializing in Thermodynamics if you want to get technical), but I also spent big chunks of my career working in both Analytical and Inorganic Chemistry.   I especially enjoyed the latter - That's where all the pretty colors are.

Sorry Robbie, you'll find more qualified cooking advice at the bus station.   Or maybe on another podcast.  But not this one.









UPCOMING PROGRAMME STUFF!!

Thursday, June 1:
From The Vault: VHUS Classic Encore v.17!

Monday, June 5:
V.H.U.S. World Series Of Heavy Listeners: May Rankings!

Thursday, June 8:
Premiere! The all-new VHUS v.76!

Monday, June 12:
Flashback: The Worst of TRACK 13!











CONTACT US!   (Letters To The Devil, comments, requests, etc...)





No comments:

Post a Comment