Friday, November 10, 2017

I'm Not Going Away Mad, I'm Just Going Away.


Looks like we still have the fat-bastard Pod-O-Matic site until November 22nd.... THEN it reverts to bare bones.    My mistake for not absorbing the fine print.    (If anyone cares, all the Classic Episodes are now gone, but I did re-post VHUS v.73 because someone requested it.)

Reminder: After the 22nd, VHUS will still be available via TUNE-IN, PLAYER.FM, GOOGLE PLAY STITCHER RADIO & MIXCLOUD  as well as POD-O-MATIC  (first-come-first-serve)

 






When I announced the cancellation of VHUS back in July, more than a few listeners asked the obvious question "WHY?"
 

I kept the reasons to myself, as they were mostly personal and (I assumed) of no interest to the public at large. But since enough of the faithful have expressed curiosity, I assembled a quick list.
 

I often use the expression "Don't give me an EXCUSE when I ask for a REASON." You may feel this way after glancing through the list. But if you're a podcaster, internet radio person or a human relic left over from the days of REAL BROADCAST RADIO (Towers, Transmitters, FCC Licenses, Tarleks & Carts), then you'll understand some of these better than most.

FIVE KEY REASONS UNCLE D.L. DECIDED TO SHOOT "THE VERY HEAVY UNCLE SHOW" IN THE HEAD:
 

1) The bi-weekly grind was rapidly becoming less fun and too much like real work.
 

2) I was getting BORED (VHUS wasn't a wannabe ego trip for me - I'd already worked in the aforementioned real radio for 30+ years).
 

3) Your Favorite Uncle put a LOT of time into each episode - TOO much time - and I felt I simply wasn't getting a good enough return on my investment.

4) Over time, VHUS negatively changed the way I listened to new music: I was unable to simply relax and enjoy new releases - EVERY song had to be scrutinized as "cast-worthy" - which was rather depressing.
 

5) Listenership - though high - had plateaued. Despite relentless promotion, after 3 years our listener GROWTH RATE had simply stalled out. And that's bad.
 

FIVE MORE VARIABLES THAT ACTED AS TIE-BREAKERS IN THE DECISION:
 

6) The prog rock snobs of the internet refused to acknowledge our existence yet relished in slagging us off (I won't name names). OTOH: The metal community mostly adored us.
 

7) Over the past year, listener feedback had dropped from "Loads" to "Nothing."
 

8) More than one competing podcast got caught red-handed RIPPING OFF our features & material - even the damned DEVIL!
 

9) Outside talent refused to join in the fun: Budding comics, podcasters, former broadcasting colleagues - NOBODY could be bothered. And that hurt just a little.
 

10) And to paraphrase Danny Glover: "I'm getting too old for this shit." Not to mention all the sexual harassment.
 

You asked. And I answered.



Download our final episodes of 2017 @ Pod-O-Matic!







CONTACT US!
(We still check the InBox now and then)


Thanks for listening!!
Uncle D.L.

The Very Heavy Uncle Show
2014 - 2017






















No comments:

Post a Comment